Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Shop, Eat, Snorkel

Technorati Tags: ,,

We started the day on Wednesday knowing that we wanted to go to the Swap Meet at the Aloha Stadium.  The Swap Meet is basically a giant flea market and a really good place to go for souvenirs.  It is only open on Wednesday and Saturday, so plan accordingly if you want to go.  Last minute we decided to spend the second half of our day at Hanauma Bay.  These two places are on opposite sides of the Waikiki, so we did a lot of driving this day.  I never really mind driving much in Hawaii, because it is so beautiful. 

DSC_0550 DSC_0552 DSC_0551

The swap meet was fun, but there is only so much you can take of it.  Everything starts to look the same and it gets very hot there.  I didn’t take any pictures, but I wish I did, because things can get “interesting” there. 

After leaving there, we opted for lunch between the two locations. We went to the Rainbow Drive-In in Waikiki.  This place has been around for over 50 years and it serves up some delicious plate lunches.  They are most known for the Loco Moco, which is white rice topped with a hamburger, egg and brown gravy.  Not really my thing, but I did the BBQ Pork Plate, which was awesome.  All the plates come served with 2 scoops of rice.   Everyone really liked the fish plate, too. Again, I wish I took a picture of the food.  This place is nothing fancy, you order from a window and there are picnic tables outside. 

With our full bellies, we headed to Hanauma Bay.  I wish we brought our ID’s with us, because military gets in for free, otherwise it costs $1 per vehicle and $7.50 a person.  You also have to watch a short video before they allow you to go the beach.  It is a protected bay, so you have calm waters and really great snorkeling.  Dan and Ray went snorkeling and saw some beautiful fish and got to hang out with a sea turtle.  I spent my time with this little munchkin as she napped in the shade. 

DSC_0526She started rolling over the day before, so there was a lot of rolling off the towel happening. 

DSC_0528

Ava and I took a little dip in the water, too. 

DSC_0525 

Some photos from the bay.

DSC_0532 DSC_0549 DSC_0547 DSC_0543 DSC_0541 DSC_0536DSC_0540 

On our way back, we stopped for Malsadas (donuts, to us mainland folks) at Leonard's.  If you are in Oahu, stop here and try a few Malsadas.  They are filled with different flavors, I loved the chocolate.  Also try the macaroons; one of the best I ever had.

Overall, it was a great, exhausting day.  We took it easy for dinner that night and hit the hay pretty early.  We needed our rest for another packed day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment